Wednesday 18 November 2009

POST 3

Restricting Ropes

Nobuyoshi Araki
Book - Araki By Araki

'Why is bondage a recurrent in your work?'(asked by Jerome Sans)

'Kinbaku - Making knots with ropes, is different from bondage. I tie women's bodies up because I know their souls can't be tied. Only the physical self can be tied. Putting a rope around a woman is like putting an arm around her.'(Araki)







I find Araki's work captivating, I interpret the photographs in my own way, bringing them into my own meaning. I look at the technique used not the erotic positions and situations the women are in. I look at it with the idea and the feeling of being restricted - not actually by ropes but by emotions and thoughts.
This last photo is my favorite as it simply is a woman after the ropes have been taken away, but that could be represented from my point of view as her breaking free from depression and anxiety or it could imply the rope being what it is in feeling - invisible.
I want to explore this idea in my own research, showing different ideas and examples of how to translate feeling into image.

No comments:

Post a Comment