Thursday 19 November 2009

POST 7

New Walk Museum Exhibition - A Journey Out of Darkness
German Expressionists.


http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council-services/lc/leicester-city-museums/exhibitions/german-expressionist/ajourney/

We went on a trip to the New Walk Museum in Leicester to see the exhibition of German Expressionist art - A Journey Out of Darkness. I really enjoyed this exhibition I was immediately sucked in by two of the artists Beckmann and Dix...



Max Beckmann
The Yawners 1918 - grabbed my eye again with the repetition of faces and similar expressions.


Group Portrait Eden Bar 1923 - The texture and aggressive technique used to create this piece is what caught my eye the most. Linking back to the mental illness ideas of scribbles.


Prunier 1944 - Colours and scribbles

Carnival Mask, Green Violet and Pink 1950 - I think this idea of masking my subject and keeping their identity would work really well, like back in the photographs by Anna Linderstam I looked at before.
Otto Dix

Whore and War Cripple 1923 - again the aggressive 'scribble' technique of creating this drawing gives me ideas for my video.



Self-Portrait as Mars 1915 - this painting really caught my eye, it makes me think of all the chaos going on inside your mind and putting it into a self-portrait.

Creature of The Night 1923


Ellis 1922 - These two paintings above are again in a 'double exposure' style overlaying different techniques and media. I am going to explore this in my editing of my video.



No comments:

Post a Comment