Wednesday 21 April 2010

Tate Modern - Max Ernst


Max Ernst


Forest and Dove

Forests appear frequently in Ernst’s works and recall his feelings of the ‘enchantment and terror’ of the woods near his childhood home. Forests are a potent symbol in German tradition, and were also adopted by the Surrealist group as a metaphor for the imagination. In this work, a small dove, which Ernst liked to use as a symbol to represent himself, is trapped among menacing trees. The shapes are created using a technique he called ‘grattage’, in which paint is scraped across the canvas to reveal the imprint of objects placed beneath.(caption in gallery)


Jagged forest and one small dove... how I feel. Although I'm not as nice as a dove!
This caught my attention straight away, the title the idea the darkness and how it sucked me in and made me imagine I was that dove in the horrible dark rough forest. I am going to use this image when experimenting with the projector idea I have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment