Wednesday 21 April 2010

Tate Modern - Robert Morris


Robert Morris born 1931

In the summer of 1967, Morris began to purchase rectangular sheets of industrial felt and cut into them with a series of straight lines. When suspended, the strips of felt would tumble from their own weight. Morris wanted to question the fixed geometric shapes of Minimalist sculpture and the way Minimalism imposed order on materials. As he wrote in his essay ‘Anti-Form’, the alternative was to let materials determine their own shape. This meant relinquishing control of the final appearance: each time this work is displayed, its precise arrangement will change.
(From the display caption)
Walking around the Tate I came across Robert Morris' work, focusing on this piece of sculptural art... hanging felt, untitled. I am really inspired by the way it hangs and how in my mind I picture it as tape from holding something in place that has been tied up maybe. This brought an idea back to me from my previous research of wrapping myself up similar to Araki's work and my ideas from my Twine Shoots. I could take this idea further in my final outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment