Wednesday 21 April 2010

Tate Modern - Robert Motherwell


Robert Motherwell

Painted on a piece of cardboard attached to part of a wooden crate, Ulysses dates from a period when Motherwell was attracted to Surrealism and experimented with various types of automatism. This painting is named after James Joyce's modernist novel Ulysses, whose ‘stream of consciousness’ technique involved transcribing the free flow of an individual’s thoughts. Joyce's style of writing had a profound effect on Motherwell, who believed that art should be an expression of the innermost thoughts and feelings of the artist.
(From the display caption)
This is another painting I came across that I want to experiment with maybe projecting onto myself for some of ym photographs, I am chosing paintings that make me feel the way I am showing in my photographs for this Depression Project. Again I like the roughness and darkness of the atmophere and the texture it has.

No comments:

Post a Comment