Monday 18 January 2010

POST 16

Francesca Woodman



















Totally madly deeeeeeeeeeply in love with Francesca Woodman's work, most inspiring person I have looked at so far!
Francesca Woodman was a manic depressant who killed herself at the young age of 22, she did not leave a suicide note all she left was a large body of photographs.
Above I have picked out my favorite ones that have stuck in my head when looking through her work. I love her weird gritty locations and the use of materials around her - sellotape, paint, old wall paper. I love that her photographs are not technically brilliant but they are so inspiring and emotional. Knowing what she was going through in her head when she created them, self portraits of her feelings inside.
I also love her use of natural light combined with movement, movement of the body in the picture to create a blur.. this is what I want to explore next, getting a gritty location and moving my head in it so my identity still remains anonymous in the photos even though its me doing them and I want people to know that, but I want them to focus on my body and the surroundings and imagine it as a mind and inner self.
Looking through her book I researched her in from the library I decided to look back through some of my Dazed and Confused magazines, I found this old article from 2006 about Francesca and how the work she left behind has influenced so many people and has really set a style and standard to her memory.

Dazed and Confused - Volume 2 - Issue 44 - December 2006
Only around 120 images have ever been published or exhibited of Francesca Woodman's work.
Many of Woodman's images are untitled and are known only by a location and date.

No comments:

Post a Comment