Tuesday 19 January 2010

POST 28

LensBaby
Lensbaby manufactures a line of camera lenses that combine a simple lens with a bellows or ball and socket mechanism for use in special-effect photography. Lensbaby lenses can be used on cameras which accept interchangeable lenses, mainly of the 35 mm or digital SLR formats. The focal length of the Lensbaby is approximately 50 mm, making it a normal lens in 35 mm format.
The front standard can be manipulated off axis to move the sharpest area of focus (called the "sweet spot") to almost anywhere in the frame. Therefore the important part of the subject can be rendered fairly sharp with everything else out of focus, even if it is the same distance from the camera. Aperture is controlled by a series of interchangeable discs. The Lensbaby naturally focuses at approximately 2 feet; closer focus is achieved by pushing the front of the lens out, and infinity focus is achieved by pulling the front of the lens toward the base of the lens.
Results achieved with a Lensbaby can mimic that of the Holga camera (though without the light leakage) or other toy cameras. There is extreme spherical and some chromatic aberration outside the central sweet spot. The lens produces oval bokeh that point to the sweet spot, as seen in the sample photo on this page.
I want to use my lens baby to create distorted images that I simply take of my surroundings or of things that represent how I feel inside, sort of like a diary style. I decided to look into the lensbaby because of the research I have been doing on the combination of blur and crisp focusing. I think this will be an interesting experiment and an unusual and new tangent to try even if it doesn't work it will help in my research and loosen me back up as I feel because I've been thinking so enclosed that my work has become enclosed too.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I hope the Lensbaby opens up new creative possibilities for you.

    ReplyDelete