Wednesday 20 January 2010

POST 35

Rebecca Horn


Since the beginning of the 1970s, Rebecca Horn has been creating an oeuvre which constitutes an ever-growing flow of performances, films, sculptures, spatial installations, drawings and photographs. The essence of their imagery comes out of the tremendous precision of the physical and technical functionality she uses to stage her works each time within a particular space.
In the first performances, the body-extensions, she explores the equilibrium between body and space. In later works she replaces the human body with kinetic sculptures which take on their own life. Her new works define and cut through spaces with reflections of mirrors, light and music.
I chose to look at her work as my self portraiture in video has become very similar to performance art, this work above is a mask she made for her face with pencils sticking out so she cound draw on the wall, I love this idea as in my main video I wanted to document this idea of scribbling and vigorous drawing. Below she has also tied herself up handing from the ceiling (reminds me of the work I looked at by Araki) she then swung herself around and painted her surroundings in scribbles.


I absolutely love this image above, exactly what I want to explore further maybe, like the work i looked at by David Moyle it creates an idea of where I could change my stills outfit to all white instead of all black and getting it dirty to accentuate the gritty grimey location.
book - women artists

No comments:

Post a Comment